Saturday, February 18, 2012

Smelts

This has been a favorite of my family, with great memories attached around our traditions & heritage. It’s simple yet incredibly delicious. It’s definitely a great heart healthy snack and easy to prepare.  Try these, you will be pleasantly surprised.


In our family I remember my mom helping my Grandfather cook the smelts for the family gathering. (the smelts were the only thing the men in the family ever cooked.)  My dad has taken over the tradition and I have helped him for years now.  These little things are what I remember when I start to get home sick.  I dash to the kitchen and cook something that reminds me of home.

I must admit I am glad we went to cleaned smelts…my mom use to buy the smelts and I had to clean them.  We learned.

Ingredients:
       2-3 pounds of smelt (get head off and cleaned)
       ¾ c. Olive Oil
       1 to 1 1/2 c. Flour
       A lot of Salt & Pepper to flavor the Flour
       1 small Red pepper sliced in half
       3-4 cloves of garlic minced
       6-8 Fresh Basil leaves minced


Directions:
Wash headless smelt and pat dry


Place a cup of flour and a lot salt and pepper in a pie plate






Take cast iron skillet and add olive oil and heat & the red pepper halves, pepper gets crispy.



Place smelt in flour to coat the fish
Add some fish and cook until brown on both sides



After the fish is cooked, approximately 3 to 4 minute, place fish on paper towel to absorb oil.  Move to a serving plate and sprinkle generously with salt & pepper and the garlic & basil.



Layer the next couple onto the plate the same way, seasoning every layer. You can cover with foil and keep warm or just dig in and EAT.   I eat as I go…I just cannot wait! 

They are totally edible...hold onto the tail and go ahead take a bite, all you'll be left with on your plate is some tails.

It’s always so special when I make them, a touch of home…thanks to the memories!I love them with a nice glass of sweet red wine and a hunk of fresh home made bread with a drizzle of olive oil. (the bread will be another post)

No comments:

Post a Comment