Sunday, February 19, 2012

Easy Peasy Cobbler




This recipe is a go-to recipe of my mom’s!  Thanks Mom!  
A great recipe that could have as many variations as your imagination can drum up.  We will list a couple at the end of the post.   I would love to hear what variations you come up with, so please stop back to the comments and let me know what you come up with. 

Ingredients:
       1 stick of butter
       1 large can (28oz to 32oz) of fruit with syrup or 2 med. cans 15oz each
(I used Doles Tropical Fruit with Passion Fruit syrup)

       ¾ c. milk
       2 tsp. vanilla extract - optional (I added this, mom’s recipe doesn’t include it)
       1 c. sugar
       1 c. A/P flour
       1 ½ tsp. baking powder
       3 Tbs. sugar
       1 tsp. cinnamon
       ½ tsp. nutmeg – optional (again my touch)

Directions:
Place your pan in the oven with the stick of butter in it…use the preheat time to melt the butter.  Ideally the oval Corelle baking dish that has the 3” high sides is what my mom always uses.  I do not own one, so I used a 7 ½” by 10 ½” stone ware baking dish, it is in the oven now….we’ll see how it goes.  I have foil under it just in case.  

(no over flow, so it worked! YEA!!!)


Mix the milk, vanilla, sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl. 

Pour the batter over the melted butter….DO NOT MIX, just pour it evenly all over the butter.

Then lay the fruit all over the batter evenly, once again….DO NOT MIX.  
Then pour all but 1” of the syrup/juice over the fruit. 
Then sprinkle the sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon all over the top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour & 15 minutes. Bake until the bottom rises up over the top and turns nice and brown.   

 Delish!!!!


Variantions:

·        Peaches, with sugar and cinnamon (my mom’s original recipe which is excellent & her favorite fruit to use)

·        Cherries, with sugar and cinnamon (my mom makes this one also, it's very good)

·        Blueberries, with sugar, cardamom and lemon zest (I also add the juice of the lemon to the batter)

I can’t wait to try some more interesting flavor combinations!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment